What to Do After an Accident with an Uninsured Driver

  • No matter how good of a driver you are, accidents happen. But what do you do when they happen with an uninsured driver? Here’s your guide to handling an accident with another driver who doesn’t have car insurance.


    Call the Police

    You may be required by law to call the police to the scene of the accident. Regardless, it’s a good idea to call the police because they will investigate the accident and complete a collision report. This record could be invaluable in helping you get coverage from your insurance company.


    Exchange Information

    Get the other driver’s name and contact information. Talk to any witnesses and get their information, too.


    Seek Medical Care

    You should go to the hospital after an accident, whether you feel injured or not. That’s because you may not feel the pain of your injuries until after the adrenaline wears off. If the other driver doesn’t have insurance, your own policy’s uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage may cover the cost of medical care. If you don’t have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, your medical insurance may cover much of the cost of care.


    Call Your Insurance Agent

    If you already have coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorists on your insurance policy, then your insurance carrier will be able to help you cover the costs associated with property damage and any bodily injuries you or your passengers may have sustained.

    If you don’t have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance agent can help you make the appropriate next steps.


    San Diego Accident Lawyer

    If you don’t have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, you may need to seek damages through the courts. An accident attorney can evaluate the damages you have suffered as a result of your injury and tell you whether you have a case and how much compensation you may be owed. 

    If you have been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, we can help. Contact The Kindley Firm, APC, at 619-550-1313 or complete the form on our website for a free consultation.