Blogs » Law Firms » How Do Wrongful Death Lawsuits Work in Illinois?

How Do Wrongful Death Lawsuits Work in Illinois?

  • Grieving the loss of a family member is never easy, and it can be even more difficult when the death was unexpected. Although your family can lean on one another to get through this hard time, the recovery process may feel impossible when you know that someone else was responsible for your loved one’s death. Holding the at-fault party to account can provide closure and ensure no one else is injured in the same way. 

    At Lane & Lane, LLC, our attorneys strive to seek justice on behalf of deceased victims and their families. We’ll investigate the accident that led to your family member’s death and determine who should be held liable. Your family deserves compensation for funeral expenses and for the immense suffering you’ve been put through. 

    Relatives That Can File Wrongful Death Claims in Illinois

    In the state of Illinois, only specific relatives are allowed to file wrongful death claims. The children and the surviving spouse of the deceased take priority in being able to file wrongful death claims. But, in the absence of spouses and children, other relatives, including parents or siblings of the deceased, can file.  

    Illinois’ Time Limit on Filing a Wrongful Death Claim

    It’s important for all family members of the deceased to know that there’s a statute of limitations of two years for wrongful death claims. If your loved one died several months after the accident but the death was a direct result of the accident, then the statute of limitations begins on the date of death and not on the date of the accident. Once the two-year time limit is up, no one will be eligible to receive compensation. 

    Contact a Chicago Wrongful Death Attorney

    A wrongful death lawsuit can be filed when a fatal accident involves negligence. If you believe your loved one died due to someone else’s negligent actions, a Chicago wrongful death lawyer from Lane & Lane, LLC can assist you in obtaining compensation. To speak with an attorney from our firm, call 312-332-1400 to schedule a free consultation or visit our website for more information.