Blogs » Business » What Injuries Can You Sue for after a Car Accident?

What Injuries Can You Sue for after a Car Accident?

  • A car accident in Ann Arbor, Michigan, can change the way you view the world forever. Not only can a car accident result in physical injuries, but you may also suffer emotionally. If you know you weren’t responsible for your car accident, then you shouldn’t be responsible for the consequences that result. But just because you’re suffering doesn’t mean you can sue.

    So, what injuries can you sue for after a car accident? There’s no concrete answer to this question. The key to knowing whether your accident qualifies for a lawsuit is determining whether negligence played a role in causing your injuries. An Ann Arbor car accident lawyer from Christensen Law can help you determine whether you have a strong case for court.

    Physical Injuries

    Some physical injuries you may suffer from a car accident include bone fractures, spinal injuries, internal bleeding, and traumatic brain injuries. Although these injuries are common in car accidents, there are many other injuries you may experience.

    The type of injury you experience won’t determine whether you can file a car accident lawsuit. What will determine whether you qualify for a claim is how your injuries occurred. Negligence must lead to your injuries for your claim to qualify.

    For example, if a drunk driver caused the car accident that resulted in your spinal injury, then you can sue the drunk driver for your damages. If a car malfunction resulted in your bone fracture, then you also have grounds for a claim.

    Emotional Injuries

    Although emotional injuries are often accompanied by physical injuries in car accident lawsuits, it’s possible to sue for emotional injuries alone. Post-traumatic stress disorder is an emotional injury that you may experience from a car accident without suffering physical injuries.

    To sue for post-traumatic stress disorder, you must prove that negligence caused your car accident. You must also have medical documentation of your diagnosis. If you want to sue for emotional injuries in addition to physical injuries, then you can include non-economic damages in your settlement. By including non-economic damages in your settlement, be going after money for all the ways you’ve suffered.

    Non-economic damages can include emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, scarring and disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, and more. These are all forms of emotional injury.

    Speak with an Ann Arbor Car Accident Attorney

    If you’ve suffered a specific injury in your Ann Arbor car accident and aren’t sure whether you’ll qualify for a claim, you can speak with an attorney from Christensen Law. Our team is experienced in handling car accident cases. If you’re eligible to file a lawsuit, we’re prepared to fight for you in court. We’ll do our best to build a strong case for you and get you the most money possible. 

    Discussing your situation in a free consultation can put you more at ease. To schedule your no-obligation consultation with an Ann Arbor car accident lawyer from our team, call 248-213-4900 or visit our website for more information.