Blogs » Law Firms » My Relative Died in a Car Accident—Can I Sue?

My Relative Died in a Car Accident—Can I Sue?

  • Losing a loved one is devastating. Whether they’re a spouse, a child, a parent, or another close relation, that fatal accident took a loved one away from you. Worse, someone else was at fault for that accident, and you’re suffering for their actions. 

    When a loved one dies in a car accident, you don’t have to accept the situation and simply try to move on. You can work with a lawyer to deal with the situation and get compensation for your family’s financial recovery. 

    Which Family Members Can Sue?

    When you’re preparing for a lawsuit after a wrongful death, you’ll need to know who’s eligible for compensation before you begin. In wrongful death lawsuits, not everyone can sue, or else several family members may try to sue at once for the same accident. 

    Instead of allowing a family member to sue, a personal representative of the estate will handle the legal side of the fatal car accident claim. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be compensated. The personal representative will act for the whole family, not just some of them, to seek compensation for everyone. 

    Because of this, you and your Staten Island car accident lawyer may not be the only ones seeking compensation through this claim. Your lawyer can, however, help you ensure you get the compensation you need for your financial recovery. 

    Compensation for Losing a Loved One

    Your compensation should cover all the costs you’re left with after your loved one’s passing. This should cover more than your financial damages. It should also cover all your non-economic damages. 

    Non-economic damages cover the intangible losses you’ve suffered because of your loved one’s death. For example, if you lost a parent, you may have lost the guidance and mentoring they could have provided. It’s difficult to put a price on those losses, so you may need your fatal car crash lawyer to help you.

    Below are some of the damages you may have suffered that your car accident lawyer can help you with: 

    • Medical bills
    • Emotional trauma
    • Lost wages
    • Loss of affection
    • Property damage

    Getting Wrongful Death Compensation after a Fatal Car Crash 

    When you’ve lost a loved one, it can be difficult to overcome the losses you’ve suffered. Between the grief and the financial losses you’ve suffered, it can feel almost impossible to overcome your situation. Luckily, you don’t have to deal with it without help. 

    Your wrongful death lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help when you’ve lost a relative in a car accident caused by another’s negligence. We understand that it can be difficult to sue when you’re dealing with grief and loss, not to mention the inexperience you may have in the courtroom. 

    Your fatal car accident lawyer can make that easier, starting with a free consultation. We can talk about your claim and what you need to know so you can file a claim to get compensated. Ready to get started? Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or visit us on our website to learn more.