Blogs » Legal Topics » Liability of the Minor and Parents

Liability of the Minor and Parents

  • Accidents involving minors can be complicated. When a minor causes a car accident, he or she can be held responsible.

    A minor who is old enough to drive is considered capable of understanding the difference between right and wrong and is old enough to assume liability for his or her actions.

    In some cases, however, the minor’s parents will be liable for the damages caused. If you were hurt in an accident caused by a minor, here’s what you should know.


    When Parents Are Liable for a Minor’s Negligence

    Most minors who drive either have their own car insurance policy or are insured on their parents’ policy. In this case, you could file a personal injury claim against that insurance.

    However, if a negligent minor who is not covered on the parents’ insurance policy caused your crash, then the parents may be held responsible for his or her negligence.

    A personal injury attorney can help you file a claim against the parents’ insurance, or if they don’t have insurance, we might be able to help you hold the parents personally responsible through seized assets or garnished wages.


    When a Minor Is Uninsured

    If an uninsured or underinsured minor caused the collision, the parents may also be responsible for paying your damages in this situation. Alternatively, you might be able to sue the minor directly.

    It should be noted that the court will likely allow the minor to wait until he or she is eighteen years old before having to pay the damages. This is because that’s the age at which the minor would be able to earn a significant income.

    If the minor has valuable assets, you’re more likely to receive payment for your damages when he or she comes of age. If not, recovering damages can be a drawn-out and complicated process that is best pursued only if you’re seriously hurt.


    Miami Auto Accident Lawyer

    Whether you’ve been injured because of the actions of a minor or an adult, you could be entitled to compensation. Lavent Law has the experience and knowledge you need on your side.

    Call us at 305-440-0450 or fill out the form on our website for a free consultation to discuss your case in detail.