Blogs » Law News » How to Sue for Elder Abuse

How to Sue for Elder Abuse

  • When you discovered that your elderly loved one had been abused, neglected, or mistreated, your first thought was probably, “How could something like this happen?” Your second thought was likely that you want justice for what’s happened to your beloved family member.

    Vulnerable adults deserve the utmost respect and care, and abuse should not go unpunished. However, sometimes the only way to hold an abuser accountable is to file an injury claim. In order to sue for elder abuse, you must first identify the abuse that occurred, and then you must figure out who could be liable.


    Types of Abuses the Elderly Suffer

    Some common types of abuses that elderly adults often suffer are:

    • Physical abuse
    • Psychological abuse
    • Financial exploitation
    • Sexual abuse
    • Neglect/mistreatment


    Who Could Be Liable for Abuse

    A lot of times, elder abuse happens in a caregiving setting, such as a nursing home. If your loved one was abused or neglected in a nursing home, you can hold the abuser and the nursing home liable. You would name the abuser and the nursing home in your claim or lawsuit.


    Compensation for Elder Abuse

    When you file a claim, one primary reason is to hold responsible those who have harmed your loved one. Another reason to sue for elder abuse is to obtain compensation for the monetary and nonmonetary losses you and your loved one have suffered.

    Here are some common damages you can request in an elder abuse claim:

    • Pain and suffering
    • All related medical expenses
    • Embarrassment/humiliation
    • Psychological trauma, anxiety, and fear
    • Loss of life enjoyment
    • Cost of transferring an elder to another, safer environment
    • Any additional related costs


    Get in Touch with an Elder Abuse Attorney in California

    If your elderly loved one has suffered abuse at the hands of a caregiver or other party, you can sue the person responsible. Filing an injury case may be the only form of justice you and your family member will receive, and your claim could prevent others from being harmed.

    Get help with your case by partnering with a California elder abuse lawyer with The Kindley Firm, APC. To reach a personal injury lawyer with our firm, call 619-550-1313, or send in the confidential case assessment form located on our website.