Blogs » Business » Maritime Injury Laws All Seamen Should Know

Maritime Injury Laws All Seamen Should Know

  • Maritime injury laws were created long ago as a way to govern activities and trade that takes place on navigable waters. Maritime laws cover a wide range of issues, but one of the major aspects of maritime law is protecting those who are injured while working as seamen. Maritime laws also cover those who work near waterways, such as dockworkers.

    You have rights under maritime injury laws. Read on for more information about your rights.

    The Jones Act Explained

    People who work on land often work for employers who are required to obtain workers compensation, a type of insurance coverage that provides monetary benefits to injured workers. The Jones Act is similar. You can sue your employer under the Jones Act for recovery of financial benefits if you can prove negligence on the part of your employer.

    The negligence threshold is low under the Jones Act, because working on a vessel is dangerous. If you win your claim, you can receive wage replacement benefits and money to pay your medical expenses. You can also receive compensation for household expenses in some cases.

    Maintenance and Cure

    Under maritime law, you can receive financial compensation for an injury that occurred at work. This law explains that your employer has a duty to provide you with compensation, even if the employer was not responsible for your injury. You can receive compensation for medical bills, room and board, homeowner’s insurance, property taxes, and more.

    The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act

    If you are not a seaman but you work near the sea, you are probably covered under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. For instance, if you work in a shipyard or in the harbor, you might be covered under this act. You can receive benefits like wage replacement and disability coverage.

    Speak with a Maritime Injury Lawyer

    Injured while working on or near navigable waters? Get help seeking compensation for your injuries by partnering with a personal injury lawyer in Corpus Christi, Texas. Call Alex R. Hernandez Jr. PLLC at 361-792-3811 or head to our website to learn more about how our firm can help you.